Tuesday 11 November 2014

Black Library Weekender III: "I'm Getting Money, I Think I'm MC Hammer"

No, I didn't attend the third Black Library Weekender... I'm borderline agoraphobic at the moment, and also a bit ill (and a bit broke). Still, starting Sunday I was eagerly trawling the internet for any info about this event.

The last few days, as attendees started to shake of their hangovers and post about BLWIII's announcements, I've been pretty excited at the release schedule taking shape; my bitterness about the disappointing 'Legacies Of Betrayal' lineup is all but forgotten. Unfortunately as per usual I had to wade through all kinds of bitterness, anti-BL circle jerking and general hate/ignorance while I was trying to get the facts. Same old story, it's pretty much why I avoid the forums whenever possible, but I always enjoy seeing the posts from the few users who obviously enjoy reading the series.

I've taken this opportunity to update the Index Page with some of the confirmed Horus Heresy release information and some of the rumours as well (although I'd say pretty much anything discussed by the authors at the Weekender can count as 'confirmed'). My main source here was Nico, who sometimes posts as Death-Nikorps, and is @blacklibrarium on Twitter. Shout outs to Nico, your enthusiasm and positivity is always nice to read - and thanks for the scoops!

I've also decided to take 'The Shattered Legions' and 'The Silent War' off the Uncomfirmed Projects list. It feels like nobody's talked about them for a while, and they were probably unofficial groupings for arcs rather than a planned anthology release.

Some thoughts here:

Stealth Alpha Legion novella release! Would we want it any other way? Having read a few things about the storyline of 'The Seventh Serpent' I am confident I'll enjoy this when I actually get to read it (hopefully it will go on sale on the BL website in the next few months). It almost feels like BL are letting every author give the XX a shot, I look forward to reading Graham's take on the sons of Alpharius.

On a less positive note, I'm lacking in any optimism about 'Deathfire'. My interest in the Salamanders remains low. My interest in Vulkan remains low. My faith in Nick Kyme's ability to write a good novel remains low. I'm sure it won't be bad, but if it's anything like 'Vulkan Lives', it may be a struggle for me to get through. If this is a book about stoic Isstvan survivors struggling to come to terms with their Primarch's absence and pondering at length on how best to strike back against the traitors... well, fuck. On the other hand, if it's an Imperium Secundus book focusing on Vulkan's sons clashing with Guilliman's authority, and their Primarch's resurrection/rehabilitation - that could be an interesting scenario. But... the cover art really makes me think it's the first one, 

Looks like a lot of HH audio dramas over the next few months, which I'm definitely pleased about, and they're mostly from authors/storylines I'm a fan of. In particular, I look forward to 'Iron Corpses', which I assume is a continuation of John French's Tallarn storyline (the Battle Of Iron Corpses being a significant action in that conflict).

Aaron has bowed out of the Heresy lineup for now, preferring to focus on the second Abaddon book. I have mixed feelings about this, which I'll probably explore in my 'Talon Of Horus' review, but there certainly seem to be several 'young blood' Heresy authors to replace him - Guy Haley, David Annandale and Andy Smillie are all making waves, after all.

It doesn't seem like there'll be a Death Guard or Mortarion-focused book in 2015. Oh well. A couple more short stories or an audio drama would tide me over, but I really hope 2016 sees a full novel or at least a novella... and that Chris Wraight writes it.

Lastly: Horus Heresy Weekender 2015 dates have been announced, and I'm determined to attend - I'm so sick of getting pissed off about the event-only anthologies, why not do something about it? Hopefully I'll manage to act naturally and not freak out (well I doubt there'll be many girls there so I'll probably be fine).

No comments:

Post a Comment